Since February of this year, I’ve been trying to eat a vegetarian diet Monday-Friday. Even with all of the amazing blogs dedicated to veganism and vegetarianism , this kind of diet can become very monotonous very quickly. Which leads me to get a bit more experimental when it comes to veggies. One of my favorite things to eat is avocado, but despite how ubiquitous avocado toast is, there are many delicious applications for avocado.
I designed this recipe to be multipurpose. This avocado salad can top burritos, be served on a bed or romaine lettuce with grilled chicken breast, and it can be served tossed with cold black beans as a main course. I like to eat it by itself. Test out some ways to make it yours!
Roasted Corn, Tomato and Avocado Salad with Mesquite Honey Dressing
Serves: 4 as an entree, 6-8 as a side or condiment Prep Time: 35 minutes Cook Time: 0 Total Time: 35 minutes
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil
2 cups of fresh or frozen corn, thawed and drained if using frozen corn
1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
2 ripe, large avocados , diced in large pieces
1/2 small or medium red onion, diced
1/3 cup cilantro, minced
1/4 cup fresh lime juice (I like 1/3 of a cup, but that is very acidic)
1 tsp mesquite honey (clover will work fine, too)
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
Salt and pepper
- Place quartered cherry tomatoes in a salad spinner and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp table salt. Let this sit until you’re ready to combine the salad. Before you add the tomatoes to your salad, spin them to remove any excess moisture.
- In a 12 inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, heat 2 Tbsp of canola oil until shimmering. Add the corn to the pan in an even layer and stir occasionally until the corn begins to turn a splotchy brown, but are not dehydrated. About 5-8 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk the lime juice, olive oil, honey and cayenne in a small bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Gently combine tomatoes, avocados, corn, cilantro and onion with dressing. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve within 1 hour of combining.
Tell me how you use this salad.